Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21 update!


Greetings from Bobo –

This week is October break for the international students who go to ISO (basically the whole youth group).  I was invited to go to Bobo with the Steve and Amy Nehlsen and their two kids, Kari and Peter, for a mini-vacation.  Kari and Peter are in my youth group and so it has been fun to get to know them better.  Steve is the field director for the C&MA here in Burkina and so while he and his wife Amy have been visiting varies ministries and encouraging people, I have enjoyed taking a break from my own ministries.  It has been a fantastic week – I met the rest of the C&MA missionaries and enjoyed fantastic meals at each ones home.  We also went to some waterfalls with the Oberg’s, Hull’s, and Schaeffer’s, and I have enjoyed the C&MA guest house here in Bobo (good internet, AC, and comfy beds!).  The Oberg’s send their greetings to the Lewiston and Ellensburg Church.  We were reminiscing about how great God is to work me coming out here – when the Oberg’s were at the Lewiston church in March I had no idea where I would be but they encouraged me a ton.  Just a few weeks later I found out about this job and now here I am in Africa eating in their home.  So awesome! 

And God has already been working a ton while I have been here.  We had a girl come to know the Lord a few weeks ago in the youth group!  She and her family are here with the US embassy and she started to come to youth group this fall.  It has been so neat to see her open up and grow in the Lord and to see how God is not only working in her but her entire family!  I have been so encouraged the last few weeks with WIRED.  We have had some awesome small group times and the series we are in, the fruit of the Spirit, has been really “fruitful.” Haha! It is fun to talk about how God works in us through his Spirit – I have been saying that its really a miracle how we can love, find joy, and have peace in the chaos of this world.  Most of these kids don’t know where they will be in a year but God does know and that’s an awesome thing to encourage them in.  

The youth group also went on a medical outreach trip last Saturday.  We went to a village about an hour outside of Ouaga.  I posted some pictures on my blog.  This was an awesome time to get to know kids more and serve along side of them.  Money that was raised from the 30 hour famine the kids did last spring, paid for 300 kids to have physicals and receive treatment. 

In other areas of my life here: I have started French.  I have it three grueling hours a day.  Actually its not that bad, my teacher is AMAZING!  Its certainly hard, I don’t have it yet, and I cant find enough time to study BUT as of today I can say hello, how are you, and I am already starting to understand a considerable amount!  Praise Jesus!

I have also started my English class!  I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy it but my first day was so much fun (they may or may not think I am a little crazy).  There are about 16 adults who all have the most difficult names to pronounce but instead of being offended they totally laughed!  The students come from different backgrounds – some come from Christian churches but many do not.  We ask for prayer requests at the end of class and spend some time in prayer. 

Lastly, I have finally started to settle in.  Sadly, Sarah has left, but she left me (basically) prepared to live on my own as a single lady in Burkina (Thank you Sarah! You are missed though).  I moved into my new place a few weeks ago and things are working out fine.  WIRED meets there every week – which is great.  And I am enjoying living on my own. 

I just looked at the prayer requests from my last update and God has already answered them!  Thanks for praying everyone!  I got my schedule worked out, French isn’t as hard as I thought (although I didn’t speak it instantly…better keep praying for that one!), and God has been softening the hearts of the youth!

As for current prayer requests:
I need some more youth leaders – Pray that God brings them.  Currently its Matt and I but Matt’s well drilling ministry is taking him away for the next several months so that just leaves…me.  I know that God has people in mind – we just need to find them!

Pray for the youth still – changed hearts and closer relationships to God, each other, and the leaders. 
Pray for the llama leaders (the student leaders) – they are amazing kids, but carry a lot of weight.  Pray that they can find time in their crazy schedules to slow down and spend some time with the Lord.  This is another reason why we need some more adult leaders – I want the student leaders to get something out of youth group as well. 

Pray also for me.  Safety as I drive on the streets, energy and knowledge to do all I need to, strength to encourage these kids, and courage to learn French, approach kids, speak truth, and be vulnerable. 

Thank you guys so much for your support, encouragement, prayers…everything!  Thank you!  And thanks for reading this VERY long update… J
Love you!
-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment