Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

just another day in paradise :)


Today we had an 8 hour power cut – it was painful!  But I survived.  I have been surviving a lot lately.  We had some student demonstrations that turned pretty scary over a week ago and then yesterday I woke up to my phone ringing and gun shots.  Some of the military rebelled, broke into an armory, and went on some sort of rampage.  They did some pretty bad looting but to the best of my knowledge no one was harmed or killed.  The US embassy strongly suggested we stay in our homes yesterday.  It was pretty frustrating for me because I live alone and because meetings were canceled and my day was just – ruined.  So after just a few hours by myself I decided to brave the streets and I drove like 2 kilometers to the Shafto’s house.  Robbie had called me earlier and said he didn’t see anything wrong – he rode his bike past my house.  So I made a quick drive down the street and hung out there for the rest of the day.  Things feel pretty safe today (yesterday too except in the morning).  The international school had school this morning and I drove my moto there for a meeting.  And I just went out and got some gas in my vehicle - life feels pretty normal.  There was rumored to be some marching and demonstrations last night from the military but they didn’t happen.  All seems pretty quiet.  Hopefully it stays that way!  Prayers would certainly be appreciated though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment