Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

An update on my week.

I have had a fantastic week!  I have never had so many amazing deep conversations in one week – I bet I had more than 15 so far!  And it was just fun and so much of this week was spent with the youth!  It was a week where I felt like I was really doing my job.  Also so many people were so encouraging to me this week - I really feel affirmed - which is always nice.  

It started with school being canceled on Tuesday.  It was a Muslim holiday called Tabaski where they kill all the goats in a sort of sacrifice.  Everyone takes off work and school to celebrate and looks forward to it (maybe like our Thanksgiving with more of a religious purpose).  So I had an impromptu movie night at the Shafto’s house on Monday night since they could stay up late.  Their 2 kids are in the youth group – Robbie is one of my student leaders.  Also on Monday we celebrated Lorinda’s birthday at a nice French restaurant downtown! 

Tuesday was a great day too – the holiday canceled my French so I hung out at the Nehlsen’s house for lunch and stayed there all afternoon.  I also went to the Wolters house and worked on my talk for Thursday’s youth group.

My llama meeting was a ton of fun on Wednesday for two reasons: 1 – I love hanging out with my student leaders, and 2 – I actually made the meal!  I cooked a whole chicken (which means I cut off the neck and took out the insides) in the crock-pot.  This is my first time ever doing it so I was nervous but I didn’t hear too many complaints when the time came to actually eat it.  After the meeting I ended up going to the Nehlsen’s again to hang out with Kari and stayed long enough for dinner.  I am starting to feel bad because of the amount of time I spend there and the amount of times they feed me. 

I was able to go to the girl’s soccer tournament at the international school on Thursday.  Both my girl student leaders – Kari and Liesbeth are on the soccer team as well as several other youth group girls.  It was fun to see them play – I had a great time watching and talking to parents: It felt so American!  (Well besides the fact that the other school was all black and most of them didn’t have shoes)  Youth group was a lot of fun too – we are doing a Christmas angel exchange so everyone brought gifts and was excited to see what they were getting.  I am not a part of it but someone gave me earrings and I have no idea who!  It has been driving me crazy!  My talk on faithfulness went pretty well – I made a huge point of talking about how this series isn’t about being perfect all the time but its about God working in us.  Then I talked about faithfulness in terms of being faithful to God and faithful to each other.  Oh also side note: I woke up to my bathroom flooded and unsure of how to actually turn the water off…

Yesterday after French I took a short break and relaxed in the afternoon.  Kari stopped by and then I went back to her house again – the Nehlsen’s fed me yet another meal! J Amy is working on her masters and wanted me to proofread her paper so I spent most of the evening doing that (it’s a long one on Education of girls in Burkina Faso…very interesting).  After that we watched a movie with Kari, Peter (Kari’s brother) and Robbie.  By the time it was finished Amy had convinced me to stay the night because driving back on my moto that late may not be so wise.  Basically I had a sleep over with my students which was pretty funny and I laughed to myself as I fell asleep on the couch. 

Today no girls showed up for Bible study (if you want you can pray about that…they wanted it but no one comes…) so I am updating you.  This afternoon I am looking forward to teaching my English class and maybe, just maybe going to bed early.

Here is a picture of Micah, Nathan, and Robbie at worship practice last week.  Liesbeth is not pictured but she plays the violin most weeks. 

1 comment: