Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

A different kind of Easter

Easter in Leo was a new experience all together.  The Lyon’s have started a church in their neighborhood – and by neighborhood I mean village.  Easter morning we drove about a mile through mud huts and bunny trails and parked under a tree.  Around the other side of the tree we sat on benches and had a church service.  The church consisted of about 10 adults and 40 kids.  We sang and danced and listened to a sermon (it was in French but I caught some of it).  I had ants crawl up my skirt but overall it was a good service.  Then afterwards we had a church potluck!  But this potluck was sardine sandwiches.

Easter in the village is certainly a different experience and honestly for me I couldn’t even tell it was Easter.  All the things that make that day Easter in the past were gone – except for the whole reason for the event (thank you Jesus.)  It was strange without family, a big special church service, eggs, salads and pastel colors.  I did have a great day and a great experience though. 

We came home from church and had leftovers (the sardine sandwiches just didn’t cut it).  Then we played Risk (well I actually fell asleep during that game – so long), rode bikes down the road and hung out and talked.  It was a great day and certainly unforgettable!  

No comments:

Post a Comment