Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Whats it like?!



I want to briefly describe what I see for those of you who have no idea what Burkina Faso is like. 
Climate: hot and sticky, the air is heavy with moisture.  Its not miserable and the moisture makes it cooler.  I guess in October it will just be hot and dry. 

Vegetation: everything is green right now.  I welcome it since I left Cloverland when it was brown.  This too will change as soon as it gets hot in the next month or so.  Dust and everything brown will soon come. 

People: there are white people here but I only see them in the circle of the international school (ISO) and the missionaries.  Most everyone else is locals.  The Burkinabe wear long skirts that are usually made of the same material as their shirts.  There are a lot of people here too, you cant go anywhere without seeing several people.  The women have their little kids strapped to their backs and also carry large items on their heads.  There are people selling anything you can imagine everywhere. 

Roads: main streets are paved and FULL of people.   Most everyone drives motos but cars are here as well – I saw a hummer!  But there are a ton of Toyotas here too.  All the side streets are dirt and have HUGE pot holes.  Most are left to get bigger; some are filled with garbage.  I have been told they are worse right now because of all the rain.  Also – people drive a bit crazy…okay really crazy.  The Burkinabe don’t really look when they are turning and don’t stop at lights or stop signs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment