Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas

Well Christmas in Africa is very different than Christmas in Washington.  The Nehlsen's let me spend it with their family and 2 nights before Christmas I was curled up on their couch next to the Christmas tree.  (Sidenote: the Nehlsen's have a couch from the states that is HEAVENLY, most Burkina made couches have straight backs and no stuffing...) Anyways - Christmas morning I woke up to a stocking of my own and some fun presents - even a few from my parents!  We were lazy the whole morning and then in the afternoon we went over to another missionary couples house - Ken and Gin.  They let us come and hang out and spend some time in their pool.  Unfortunately the water was FREEZING (although I am sure none of you would think so) so I didnt get too far into the water.  After spending most of the day relaxing, eating, and calling my family I went back to bed feeling very taken care of. 


The festivities surrounding Christmas were fun too.  I had a Christmas party with my French teacher and her other students - it was a fun experience with a Burkinabe band, yummy Burkinabe food, and a very interesting drive over there.  I was put into a taxi and dropped off at a Shell station.  Then stood there for about 5 minutes until a lady came up to me on a moto and told me to come with her (through gestures and fast French).  So I got on her moto and thankfully - she did drive me to the party.  But it was a bit scary there for a minute! 

The CMA also had an annual Christmas gathering.  We had a yummy brunch, traded gifts and played silly games with all the kids.  It was fun to have us all together.

Also, the day after Christmas the Nehlsen's had a carol sing.  I think this was the first one I have ever gone too.  It was a fun, interesting experience.  There were people from all sorts of different places all singing fun English Christmas Carols.  I loved hearing the different accents and meeting new families that I had no idea were living in Burkina!  It was great!

Overall Christmas was a lot of fun and even though I was missing my family I was thankful for the family God has given me here in Burkina...and who knows!  Maybe next year some of my family will join me here in Africa! :) hehe

1 comment: