Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Familiar

At some point between the last post and this one, life in West Africa became "normal."  Looking at it now it didn't seem normal - I still had so many adventures that were certainly outside of the typical life of most Americans.  But, I suppose after living in any given location for at least a year things start to get normal.  I am now in Portland, Oregon and have only been here 2 months and its already normal.  My theory is that when you live in a different city but its still in your culture, the transition period is drastically shortened due to familiarity.  Although Portland is a tad bit different than Eastern Washington it is still the beautiful Pacific Northwest and has always been my home.  

So, all that to say, its possible that because life in Burkina Faso became my new "normal" I stopped seeing it for the truly unique place that it is.  And thus (thus? I never use that word), stopped reporting back.  I am making a new vow - although no one is really going to hold me accountable - that I will not let my eyes become clouded over with familiarity...or if I do - that it wont be for over a year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment