Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Back on the farm!


I had the amazing opportunity to go on a mini road trip east of where I am staying to a friend of mines farm!  We went last weekend for a short break from ministry.  It was really neat for me to see what a farm is like in South Africa.  Surprisingly – it’s very similar to my dad’s farm!  The farmer does no till dry land farming (which is easier when there is a lot of rain).  He grows wheat and barley.  He also had sheep – this was a new experience for me.  I feel like I now know a little about sheep and the more I learned the more sad I became because we are referred to as sheep in the bible!  Haha.  We drove around the flocks looking for lambs that were left or rejected by their mothers and for sheep that were giving birth that needed help.  It was…messy.  Haha.  The whole weekend was wonderful and I'm so thankful that I got to go! 

Now for some highlights:

Kids club in Red Hill has been amazing!  I love these kids so much!  I am still going three times a week to help with the clubs and have made a ton of friends!  I enjoy just loving on these children by playing with them, holding them, singing with them, and sharing Jesus with them.  This week some of the teens have warmed up to me.  This is a blessing because I wanted to hang out with them a bit – it’s been so difficult trying to get them to feel comfortable with us.  Christianne and I are going to try to do a youth gathering next week – hopefully all goes well!  (You can pray for that!)

Things in Red Hill have been difficult this week.  A lady passed away last Monday (a week ago).  She is the sister of a person of peace in the township that we work very closely with.  It was very unexpected.  Through this process I am seeing how a different cultures deal with death – very interesting.  Everyday until the body is moved to where they were originally from, family, friends, and neighbors gather together to mourn.  This has been going on all week and will until next Thursday.  To show that you care about the family and support them you are supposed to go to these services.  The first night we went and I had to stand up and say a few words!  It was VERY short notice and a little awkward but God supplied words and hopefully it helped the whole process.  I haven’t had to speak again since then but I still have a whole week of services!  One of the guys here was telling me that this is a very important time to be bold and share Jesus because many Africans don’t have a very good understanding of death and dying and not much of a belief of what happens after death – this makes death very difficult to deal with.  We are praying that God is softening and opening up the hearts of all the people.

This past week I also went into Cape Town to Bo Kaap.  Bo Kaap is the section of Cape Town where all the Muslims live.  All the Muslims were moved into the section during the apartheid.  It’s a very beautiful community with bright buildings.  I also went to All Nations discipleship house that works with Muslim women.  They give them jobs with making jewelry and share the gospel with them.  All of the women come from other African countries and last year during the Xenophobia they were chased out of the townships. 

Houses in Bo Kaap

This past weekend was very good – relaxing a bit!  I was able to hang out with my friend Matt in Kalk Bay on Saturday.  Yesterday I had a slow morning but in the afternoon I headed up to Red Hill to watch soccer games and visit several of our friends.  Early this morning the house is even emptier!  2 more of our guys left for outreach in Mozambique leaving just three girls to live in the Africa house: Ritmwa, Annari, and me.  Should be an interesting last 2 weeks. 

Thanks for your continued prayers!  You guys are amazing!! J

1 comment:

  1. OH I miss you little lady. How sweet that you are in South Africa. You should just stick around for about another year and see the World Cup. When are you coming home?
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete